March 28, 2011

String me along!

A monthly knit-along started in the String Theory Yarn Lovers group on Ravelry. The project in February was the Surya shawl: though I started full of steam with some lovely ST Caper Lace in periwinkle, I got distracted by another shiny project (the Tangled Yoke cardigan) and didn't finish the shawl...
But I stuck with the March project and finished my Java socks on time! ST Bluestocking (80% Blue Faced Leicester superwash/20% nylon)is a great sock yarn, durable with good stitch definition. The pattern was quick to knit (2 stitch cables are easy to knit without a cable needle) and I liked how the designer integrated the cable pattern into the gusset shaping.

Pattern: Java socks by Cailyn Meyer (Knitty, Winter 2011)
Yarn: String Theory Bluestocking in "Jade"

Did you see this article, fellow Boston area knitters? Two new fabric and yarn stores recently opened, Gather Here in Cambridge and JP Knit and Stitch in Jamaica Plain. I'll try to visit them in the coming weeks but if they're anything like Stitch House in Dorchester, then I'll be one happy (and poorer) knitter and aspiring seamstress!

No comments: